Delightful Vegan Campfire Nachos Recipe
Vegetables and spices make eating snacks fun, especially with cheese and nachos. Kids love the taste of it and more importantly, it’s all vegetables! Layer after layer after layer would be a good and thrilling experience especially if you are having outdoor activities with your children. This campfire nachos recipe will definitely make your snack time very interesting and fun. You can also make children help in the cooking process.
Basically, campfire nachos is easy to prepare. You just bring all the ingredients together and once it’s ready you can enjoy your snack. There are 2 parts in its preparation – the chips and then the dip.
Step 1: On a saucepan or dutch oven, put a handful of tortilla chips.
Step 2: Sprinkle olives, jalapenos and cheese over and then place some salsa or tomato sauce on each tortilla chip.
Step 3: Add another layer. Place another handful of tortilla chips over the ones you’ve decorated earlier and repeat step 2.
Step 4: Add layers depending on how small or how big your container is but it would be advisable to put up to 3 layers and if you have more then do another batch since it’s easy to cook. Just make sure you have enough cheese and sauce for all layers.
Step 5: Outdoor: Place under the campfire embers with the lid on and let it cook for about 5 minutes and then you can take it from the heat source and let it cool for about 1 minute then eat.
Indoor: Place the dutch oven on the stovetop and put the lid on so that the heat would circulate around the chips and cook. Leave under medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Let it cool for 1 minute then serve.
- If you don’t have a lid, you can also place a tin foil on top of the pan or dutch oven.
- If your kids don’t like spicy flavor, you can skip on putting the jalapenos or just put 1-2 small sliced pieces when you’re preparing the very first layer.
- You can also use beans instead of olives.
- You can also add vegan pepperoni
Step 1: Slice all the avocados lengthwise and remove the seed at the center using a spoon.
Step 2: Scrape the avocado flesh using a spoon and place it into a bowl.
Step 3: Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado flesh and mash them with a fork.
Step 4: Add the diced fresh tomatoes and mix them well together and your dip is ready.
- You can add some salt and cumin powder with your dip for added flavor.
- You can include 1/4 cup of onions aside from the fresh tomatoes in your dip.
- You can add more avocados depending on what or how many you prefer.
Nutritional Facts of Tortilla Chips
Fried tortilla chips are not healthy and so it is advisable to eat baked tortilla chips instead. They still have fat and calories but not as much as fried ones. Nachos are one of the most favorite snacks in America and can be eaten at almost any time of the day, even during sports events and the major ingredients would be the tortilla chips. That being said, let us enumerate the benefits of eating them:
- Baked tortilla chips contain low-fat oil and is good to eat
- They are a good source of vitamins like B1 and B6
- The main ingredient in making tortilla chips is corn and they would contain antioxidants that corn crops naturally have
- They also contain potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium
Below are 2 videos showing how to make campfire nachos in easy and practical ways. You can modify them depending on the toppings you prefer and the sauce types that you’d like.
Other Version of Campfire Nachos
Healthy To-Go Snack
Despite some of the negative thoughts on nachos that they’re bad for the health, they can actually be made into a very healthy to-go snack. You can use organic ingredients and homemade sauces in order to keep it healthy and you can place it in a nice container.
The campfire nachos recipe is very easy and fun to prepare even when there are kids around. The main goal of this recipe is to create a good bonding activity for the family and there’s nothing better than creating a meal or a snack together. Balancing meals and snacks is not easy but it is something that a lot of mothers do for their children. Happy snacking and cooking!