Fresh Corn Zucchini Chowder Recipe
That creamy soup of corn and zucchini isn’t bad for those cold nights and is also perfect for summer when you want to eat comfort food. It is a very healthy vegetarian recipe that your family will love. The fresh corn zucchini chowder recipe is very easy to prepare and cook in your dutch oven, or even in your rice cooker. Let’s get started!
Step 1: In your dutch oven, put 2 tbsp of olive oil and heat for 30 seconds then add mushrooms and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Step 2: Add the onions, celery and carrots then salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Saute for 30 seconds before adding garlic, rosemary, thyme, and potatoes. Mix ingredients well or give everything a quick stir then add vegetable broth and bay leaf.
Step 3: Bring it to a boil then add the zucchini and sweet corn. Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally. At this point, you can taste the soup if it has the right amount of salt then adjust accordingly.
Step 4: Remove the bay leaf and get 2 cups of the soup and place into the blender.
Step 5: Blend everything until pureed then put it back into the pot and then add the non-dairy half and half. Give it a quick stir then let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
- You can skip adding cayenne pepper if you don’t have it available or if you’re not fond of having spicy flavoring on your meals.
- Any type of potato is fine. You can also add other vegetables that cook easily like Chinese cabbage.
- You can use frozen corn kernels if you’re not able to get fresh corn ears. You can also use a few frozen corn pieces as garnishment to the dish with cilantro or basil leaves before you serve.
- Any type of mushroom is also okay – use whatever is available in your local area or you can completely do away with mushrooms and just cook the vegetables.
- If you don’t have olive oil, you can also use 1-2 tbsp of butter.
- If you want a thicker sauce, you can add 1 tbsp of flour or 2 tsp of cornstarch.
- You can use 4 cups of water as a substitute in case you don’t have any vegetable broth in stock.
Without these ingredients, you won’t be able to call this dish a corn zucchini chowder without these key ingredients:
Sweet corn is a vegetable that is categorized as a cereal because it is a type of grain. It usually grows in the summer and is a famous snack for kids and adults. 1 ear of sweet corn can give about 3/4 cup of kernels when measured. Corn kernels are healthy and are a good source of vitamin A, protein, carbohydrates and potassium for extra energy. You can add them fresh, pre-cooked or frozen.
A zucchini is a type of summer squash and is a vegetable that almost looks like a cucumber. It can be stripped or just plain dark green in color. If it is about to ripen it turns yellowish or orange. Zucchinis are rich with Vitamin A (good for your eyesight) as well as potassium (for energy and strength in your bones and muscles) and folate (for the blood).
Half and half
A mixture of almost 50% cream and 50% milk is what they usually call half and half. It is a mixture particularly used in cooking different types of soup for added thickness and richness in flavor as well as in the soup’s consistency. It is actually made from dairy products but since this is a vegan dish, the most usually non-dairy alternative would be the mixture of coconut cream and soy milk.
Corn and Zucchini mix well together in this wonderful chowder recipe. The fresh corn and zucchini chowder recipe can have various variations. You can add other seasonings or vegetables that you prefer and still have that wonderful taste. You can also check out this version if you are not 100% vegan and want to include bacon in your recipe: summer corn and zucchini chowder
We hope we have added another recipe that would help you be a better homemaker. Happy cooking!