Anyone who has ever had a tortilla knows that it is the type of food that tastes best when warm. Thankfully, there's a handy device that can be used to keep it in a heated temperature for a longer time than it should, and it is aptly called Tortilla Warmer. Yes, you can use an aluminum foil or even a cloth to keep the warmth of your tortillas. But if you want to do it more correctly and traditionally, then a tortilla warmer is what you should be using. Now, if you're thinking of getting a tortilla warmer or you already got one, but you haven't tried it yet since you don't know how to, then this article is perfect for you. Written below is a step-by-step procedure on how to use a tortilla warmer to keep your tortillas in a heated temperature.
What Exactly Is A Tortilla Warmer?
It is basically a pot-shaped vessel with a lid that you can use to keep the moisture and heated temperature of your tortillas until it's time to eat them. The tortilla warmer is a commonly used kitchen device in Mexican culture and other places that are influenced by it.
There are three types of tortilla warmer, and they are the following:
- Aluminum Foil
While they all share the same purpose, the method of usage for these three aren't the same. Take a look at the next part to know how you can properly utilize these tortilla warmers based on their type.
How To use a Tortilla Warmer The Right Way
Written below are instructions that you must follow if you want to know how you can properly use a tortilla warmer. Whether you have a plastic, foil, or terra-cotta warmer, these steps will show you what to do.
(Widely available, light, and cheaper compared to the terra-cotta tortilla warmer.).
- Tortilla warmers of this kind are inexpensive and widely available. They are also microwavable, which makes them very convenient since you can heat and store your tortillas in the same container.
- The first thing you need to do is to heat your tortillas until they are pretty hot but not totally cooked yet.
- Next, stack them in the plastic tortilla warmer.
- Put it in the microwave and set the temperature to high for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Bring the warmer out when the timer is done and they are fully cooked.
- You can wrap the tortillas with aluminum foil to keep their warmth locked-in or just keep the lid shut until they are ready to be served.
Plastic warmers provide a quick and easy way of keeping your tortillas in a heated temperature. However, it's important to note that this type of warmer can only keep your tortillas hot for about 20 minutes or so.
(The makeshift tortilla warmer. You can wrap your tortillas in it to keep their heated temperature.).
- Using aluminum foil packets to heat your tortillas is a genius way as it is not only efficient but is also pretty cheap. Read the instructions below to know how you can warm your tortillas using aluminum oil the right way.
- Lay your tortillas individually on a tray and spray them on both sides with water until they are coated enough. You are doing this to avoid them from being completely dry after their trip to the oven.
- The next thing you should do is to preheat your conventional oven or toaster to 375 F or 190 C. You can adjust it to a lower temperature if you're more comfortable with the more extended cooking period.
- Get your tortillas, stack them by five, and wrap them thoroughly in aluminum foil. Just make other stacks if you're planning to make more than that.
- Put them in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes. Set a longer time if you went for a lower temperature.
- Take them out and keep them sealed in the foil to avoid heat from getting out.
The aluminum foil can keep your tortillas warm for 30 to 45 minutes, making it perfect if you're not planning to serve them right away. But because it has been baked in scorching hot temperature for several minutes, it is not the best-looking tortilla serving dish.
(The traditional kind. It is heavier and more expensive than the other two.)
- A traditional tortilla warmer is made of terra-cotta or clay. It features thick walls that can effectively keep the warmth and moisture locked in. Aside from those two, it is effortless to clean, all you have to do is wipe it with a clean cloth or napkin, and then you're done. The terra-cotta tortilla warmer is microwave and hot oven-safe as well. So, wondering how you can use this properly? Then read the steps below.
- Heat your tortillas until they're warm enough but not totally cooked yet as you will finish them inside the oven.
- Stack your tortillas inside the terra-cotta warmer. You can line the inner part of the warmer first with aluminum foil or cloth if you want to, but it's okay if you're going to put your tortillas straight into the pot.
- Set your microwave/oven to a high temperature.
- Place the tortilla warmer in and wait for about 20 seconds or more since its walls are a lot thicker than the plastic kind.
- Bring them out once they're done. Don't open the lid until the tortillas are ready to be served.
These traditional terra-cotta warmers can keep your tortillas heated for at least 30 minutes. Just make sure the lid will stay on so the heat and moisture will not escape faster.
Useful Tips To Remember
Wait, before you go ahead and heat some tortillas, here are some tips to help you make sure that your whole tortilla warmer experience will not go wrong.
- Before you buy a tortilla warmer, make sure that it's dishwasher safe.
- Never put your terra-cotta tortilla warmer inside a dishwasher as it is made of clay and not suitable for that type of cleaning.
- Consider what kind of tortilla you're going to use before you heat it.
- Opt for corn tortillas as they can maintain more moisture than flour-based ones.
The tortilla warmer is a must-have for making your tacos, burritos, shawarmas, and other similar foods taste as best as they could be. And do you know the best part? It is super easy to use. All you have to do is heat your tortillas until they're hot but not cooked yet, stack them inside the warmer, finish them in a preheated oven, take them out, and serve. So what are you waiting for? Now that you have the knowledge on how to warm tortillas in a tortilla warmer, you will surely be able to enjoy warm tortillas anytime you want to.