It’s a little hard to make kids appreciate or even like vegetables these days. A lot of them suffer from malnutrition, not because they eat less but because they eat things that can be bad for them. One of the solutions to this would be trying out the kidney Bean and coconut curry recipe. It is one of the most nutritious vegetarian oven dutch recipe and one of the easiest to prepare. Also, kidney beans can be a good substitute for meat and children warm up to them with a little more ease compared to other types of vegetables. It’s a perfect way to let them enjoy a healthy snack.
Now that we’ve discussed some of the benefits of this dish, let’s talk about what ingredients to prepare and what cooking utensils are needed.
Cooking Utensils needed:
- Dutch Oven (May be substituted with a sauce pan or saute pan)
- Wooden spoon (for stirring)
- Colander (for draining beans of excess water if you personally prepared them) Chopping board and kitchen knife
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, crushed or finely chopped
- ½ bulb or 1 bulb onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 cup or 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Coconut milk or Coconut cream
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1-2 tsp of ground paprika
- 1-2 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 1 can of kidney beans or 400g of kidney beans in water
- 1-2 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 pack of coriander stalks, chopped with the leaves shredded
- ½ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
Optional: Just 1 of any of these ingredients
- ½ red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium finely chopped jalapeno, seeded
- chili powder/ cayenne pepper
Preparing the Beans
In case you plan on using fresh beans and prepare them instead of buying the can, here are the directions for it:
Step 1: Soak the beans in clear water for 8 hours or overnight
Step 2: Drain the beans and let them simmer under low fire until the water boils
Step 3: Drain once again and set aside.
Kidney Beans and Coconut Milk Curry
Step 1: In a dutch oven or pan, put 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil and have it heated over medium heat for 1 minute.
Step 2: Saute the garlic, onions and ginger and add a pinch of salt while stirring occasionally for 1 minute and begin to add ground black pepper, garam masala, paprika and tomatoes. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add 1 – 2 tbsp of water to cook the spices together until fragrant and begin to add the kidney beans you have set aside or if you are going to use a can of beans, you may pour them in the mix after draining the brine.
Step 4: Add the coconut milk (some use coconut cream) and curry powder then stir. Let it simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
Step 5: Add lemon juice and season with salt, pepper to taste. If you’d like it spicy then this is also the time to add chili powder or jalapeno that suits your taste. At this time, you may also add some herbs: coriander stalks and also sprinkle a bit of cilantro or parsley. Other variations can also include adding 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste for a thick sauce.
Step 6: Under medium heat, stir occasionally and let it simmer for 10 more minutes or until the sauce is thickened and cooked.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Best served with rice topped with cilantro or parsley. Also great to eat with toasted bread or baguettes.
Variations of the Dish
Other names of this dish is kidney bean curry or kidney bean coconut curry. The base ingredients stay the same even if others may add more vegetables and herbs or spices to their liking. I have provided a list of the base ingredients below:
Even if they vary in some ways, differences between the types of kidney bean curry pretty much would end up having the same consistency as long as the base ingredients are used even if they may differ in one way or another (e.g. type, color, measurements)
- Kidney Beans
Like what I have mentioned earlier, there are different types of kidney beans and aside from color, variations also refer to the different types of beans grown in different countries all over the world.
- Coconut Milk/Cream
Most likely, people would use either the coconut milk or cream depending on what is readily accessible or available to them. This gives the rich flavor to the curry and should never be left out.
The most usual herbs used would be cilantro and coriander stalks but is not limited to them. Parsley may be used as a substitute and aside from regular herbs, you can also use celery. These herbs maybe mixed into the curry or added later as garnishment.
- Curry Powder
Of course what is curry without curry powder? You can usually buy them at any grocery store. Just buy the one that strikes your fancy or one that you know is of good quality and you’re all set.
Curry is usually a colorful dish and it is best cooked with paprika for that rich color that makes the curry pleasing and attractive to both the eyes and taste buds. You can use sweet paprika to add flavor too!
I have 2 videos that show how the kidney bean curry is cooked using your usual ingredients and the other using different types of beans.
Coconut Curry Beans by Miss Mandi Throwdown
1 tsp garlic powder
1 onion diced
1 crushed all purpose seasoning cube
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
Ground black pepper
1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
3 tomatoes, peeled
1 Can of Kidney Beans
1 tsp Mixed spices (garam masala)
1 tsp paprika
Kenyan Version of Kidney Curry Beans
Red Kidney Beans
Ginger garlic paste
Red chili Powder
Nutritional Value of the Dish
Aside from what has been mentioned, we have listed the key benefits of kidney beans and coconut milk that is part of the nutritional value of the kidney bean curry recipe. The dietary fibers present in beans and the thick and creamy milk of the coconut have good effects when mixed together.
Benefits of Eating Kidney Beans
Kidney beans are one of the healthiest and most well-loved vegetable ingredients by both adults and children. There are many types of kidney beans and in different colors too: white, red, brown, black, green, etc. They are nutritious and provide a lot of benefits for you and your family. Here are a few of its good points:
- Naturally detoxifies the body
- It reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood stream
- Kidney beans are high in protein and other vitamins and minerals that are as good as eating meat without the side effects
- They control blood sugar levels and help combat diabetes
- It has dietary fibers that aid in weight loss and reduce the risk of heart attack and certain cancers. It also relieves constipation, migraine and asthma.
- Gives an energy boost and serve as antioxidants that help improve tissue repair and has anti-aging properties
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
Like kidney beans, coconut milk has a lot to offer as well. It has similar benefits with the beans but in liquid form. Here are a few key benefits of coconut milk:
- Prevents dehydration, diarrhea and helps prevent muscle tension and relieve stress
- Helps lower blood pressure for those with hypertensive tendencies
- Prevents and constipation and ulcers while protecting your digestive lining
- Also lowers blood sugar levels and reduces cholesterol levels
The kidney bean and coconut curry recipe is considered as a complete meal. It is packed with protein, carbohydrates and dietary fibers and can also become a light snack when partnered with crusty bread or baguettes. It can also be good for lunch or dinner depending on what you prefer.