Anolon and Scanpan are among the most popular brands that sell high-quality nonstick cookware. Both brands offer several models that are highly sought after which makes it understandable if you are confused about which one to settle for.
In order to have a clear view and understand the similarities and differences between Scanpan and Anolon better, I have made this in-depth comparison guide where I will uncover the main key points that set these brands apart.
Recycled cast aluminum and 5-Ply
Stainless steel / Nonstick / Hard-anodized aluminum
Stainless steel / Recycled aluminum
Up to 500 degrees
Up to 500 degrees
Only HaptIQ, Pro IQ, CS+, Classic, and CTX collections
Yes (except Nouvelle and Smart stack collections)
Yes (except Advanced line)
Dual riveted silicone or cast stainless steel /
Stainless steel / Glass
Number of collections
Yes (except for the nonstick cookware)
Yes (covers only defects)
Scandinavian Pan or “Scanpan” for short was the first to produce environmentally friendly nonstick cookware. Every pot and pan is constructed via recycled aluminum (beer and soda cans) under strict standards to minimize the carbon footprint to secure healthy, safe cooking.
Scanpan is known for its STRATANIUM which is a patented PFOS/PFOA-free nonstick coating system where hard particles and wave-like layers interlock to strengthen the nonstick layer creating a durable surface that withstand the use of metal utensils without sacrificing the performance. Having said that, Scanpan has revealed its new tested technology “STRATANIUM+” where it improves the durability 50% more compared to the previous version.
Pros of Scanpan Cookware
- Superb nonstick coating. Scanpan uses the STRATANIUM and STRATANIUM+ systems to produce easy-release surfaces that can handle the most delicate food effortlessly while providing long-lasting nonstick performance.
- Great heat tolerance. All Scanpan cookware sets are oven-safe and can tolerate up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit which is what we normally see in the high-end range only.
- Environmentally friendly cookware. All of the pots and pans are made entirely from recycled aluminum (mainly soda and beer cans) to save huge amounts of waste and energy.
- Robust cookware. The process this company follows with the recycled aluminum results in sturdy yet safe cookware that can secure even heat distribution while delivering the best nonstick performance to enjoy healthy cooking for you and your family.
Cons of Scanpan Cookware
- Expensive. The Scanpan lines are considered to be more expensive than the average cookware on the market. The cheapest cookware collection this company offer is around $300 to $400 while the pricey ones exceed $700.
- Short lifespan. This brand’s products are known for their durability to hold out against most heavy tasks. However, like most nonstick cookware, Scanpan pots and pans are prone to wear out. You can expect a great performance that would last for around 2 to 5 years or even longer if properly maintained.
Anolon is regarded to be one of the very few nonstick brands that produce reliable cookware that can endure the heavy demands of busy kitchens. Most of its pots and pans are recognized primarily for their performance and durability.
After professionally creating dozens of hard-anodized cookware, Anolon started combining its nonstick technologies with the multi-clad process to create cookware that can offer the performance of stainless steel while keeping the nonstick aspect for easy cleaning and cooking.
Pros of Anolon Cookware
- Superior nonstick quality. Anolon has its unique nonstick systems to create promising smooth surfaces that can deliver high performance with great durability to allow the use of metal utensils.
- Great performance. By following strict U.S standards, this brand managed to offer high-quality cookware that can provide excellent heat control with even distribution to handle sudden temperature changes.
- Diverse cookware. In order to achieve reliable cookware that can endure most heavy tasks, Anolon started crafting its pots and pans using different materials such as hard-anodized aluminum and stainless steel.
- Inexpensive. Many of their quality cookware sets come at affordable prices for most home cooks. You can easily find a collection that can fulfill your cooking needs within your budget.
Cons of Anolon Cookware
- Multi-clad construction. Anolon does a neat job in manufacturing hard-anodized nonstick cookware. However, the stainless steel cookware sets this brand produces are not yet at the level where they can rival famous brands like Demeyere or All-Clad.
- Not great handles design. I didn’t like the way Anolon design the handles for their pans. Depending on the cookware, some handles fail to deliver the full protection of burn while some may not be completely fit for everyone to use due to the length.
- Lack of compatibility. When it comes to the oven, all of the cookware are oven-safe. The only downside is that most of them can only tolerate temperatures up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while few can reach 500 degrees. As for inductions, the majority of their sets are not compatible with induction cooktops.
RELATED: Best Cookware for Induction Cooktops
Anolon vs Scanpan: Differences and Similarities
Anolon and Scanpan are trusted brands that earned their fame by producing stunning nonstick cookware for our stovetops. While at the first glance, the lines these brands produce may look similar to the average cook, they have considerably more differences than you can imagine. Without further ado, here are the five main distinctions between Anolon and Scanpan that you need to be aware of.
Both brands provide different cookware models to cater to the daily needs of home cooks.
Scanpan focuses on recycling soda and beer cans under certain standards in order to obtain the aluminum needed to craft its pots and pans. By combining this material with Scanpan’s unique coating system “STRATANIUM or STRATANIUM+”, this brand managed to create safe yet stronger nonstick cookware that could last for a long time.
While aluminum is the primary material for Scanpan, its cookware lines are divided into two constructions: “squeeze cast aluminum” where the STRATANIUM is used to create the smooth surface, and a “5-ply stainless steel-clad” construction where the STRATANIUM+ is applied to produce a commercial-grade nonstick surface.
Anolon on the other side as we have seen in the All-Clad vs Anolon comparison, uses hard-anodized aluminum together with its unique system “Autograph®2” which consists of a triple-layered, premium quality nonstick coating to create a smooth surface for its cookware that can preserve optimum performance possible.
In order to add variety to its collections, Anolon started implementing a new technology “SearTech™” during the multi-clad construction giving rise to high-quality stainless steel cookware that can offer the superb performance of stainless steel while keeping the smooth feature of nonstick pans.
Anolon managed to craft a slick yet durable cooking surface for all its hard-anodized cookware thanks to its signature coating Autograph 2 which facilitates cooking and cleaning since it prevents food from sticking to the interior.
Scanpan on the other hand uses its flagship surface STRATANIUM to boost durability while securing high nonstick performance. Additionally, this brand managed to enhance the durability even further with its improved system STRATANIUM+ which allows you to enjoy exceptional searing.
Anolon provides various cookware with different sizes and colors giving you the freedom you need to get the right collection for your kitchen design. Aside from the look, this brand prefers to cover the whole surface from edge to edge with its nonstick coating while using cutting-edge technology for its cookware to make it easier for you to pour food on a plate or bowl smoothly.
Scanpan contrarily produces its cookware with a simple design that comes up with either black or grey color. This brand design is more about performance and endurance than the look. For instance, when it comes to heat tolerance, lids and handles are usually the weakest part of cookware which can get in the way of baking certain recipes. However, in the case of Scanpan, both handles and lids are crafted to prioritize heat tolerance giving you the flexibility to bake various recipes that require 500 degrees Fahrenheit in your oven.
Anolon has its own way of designing the handles to keep them cold to the touch which comes in handy if you are cooking for a short period of time. However, if we are to consider the versatility a home cook desires in order to cook for a longer time on different types of cooktops and ovens, the handles will fail to deliver the full protection of burn. Also, due to the length, some handles may not be completely fit for everyone to use.
With a danish style, Scanpan designs different types of handles to match the cookware shape while adding or improving certain features that could solve common handling issues. Depending on the cookware model, Scanpan crafts either long, ergonomic stainless steel handles or bakelite handles that are connected firmly to a rivetless locking system.
Scanpan is definitely carrying a heftier price tag than Anolon. Scanpan mainly focuses on producing high-quality cookware that can fulfill the needs of all types of cooks. While Anolon is aiming more towards crafting budget cookware that anyone can afford. Here are some examples of Anolon and Scanpan cookware prices:
- Anolon Advanced Hard-Anodized 11-piece Cookware Set: $300+
- Anolon Nouvelle Stainless Steel 10-piece Cookware Set: $300+
- Anolon Advanced Tri-Ply 10-piece Cookware Set: $300
- Anolon Allure 12-piece Cookware Set: $400
- Anolon Smart Stack 11-piece Cookware Set: $450
- Anolon Accolade 12-piece Cookware Set: $549
- Scanpan Classic 11-piece Cookware Set: $450
- Scanpan Professional 10-piece Cookware Set: $650
- Scanpan Pro IQ 9-piece Cookware Set: $700
- Scanpan CTX 10-piece Cookware Set: $700
- Scanpan HaptIQ 10-piece Cookware Set: $800
- Scanpan CS+ 10-piece Cookware Set: $1000
Scanpan vs Anolon: Cookware Sets Comparison
Anolon Advanced Cookware Set
Triple-layer premium-quality nonstick
Anolon Nouvelle Cookware Set
Brushed stainless steel
Anolon Smart Stack Cookware Set
Anolon Accolade Cookware Set
Forged hard-anodized aluminum
Scanpan Classic Cookware Set
Scanpan Professional Cookware Set
Scanpan CTX Cookware Set
Scanpan HaptIQ Cookware Set
The Final Verdict
Both brands follow different methods and use different technologies to create nonstick surfaces for their cookware that could save you a lot of time and effort by facilitating your cooking and cleaning chores. You can expect great performance with whichever brand you choose however if you are on a tight budget and looking for an inexpensive cookware set that could provide you with superb nonstick performance then I highly recommend choosing one of Anolon cookware. Otherwise, go for one of Scanpan’s high-end cookware sets that can secure higher durability, versatility, and better performance which can last for a long time with proper care.